The American Dental Association recently found that a wide majority of Americans believe that a smile is their best trait, and that beautiful teeth are vital to that smile. At Mint Dental Alaska, we believe much the same, and that’s why we provide cosmetic dentistry services like teeth whitening to the people of Anchorage.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a relatively self-explanatory service. Literally, teeth whitening is designed to remove discoloration from your teeth. While tooth discoloration is perfectly normal and can happen to anyone over time, it is often associated with a sort of stigma in modern society. Pursuing teeth whitening solutions can help reverse the change and restore clean beauty to a smile.
An important thing to remember is that discoloration of the teeth can happen to anyone. Changes in pigmentation can have a variety of causes, including:
- Food and drink: Some types of food and drinks contain chemicals that naturally stain the teeth (eg: coffee, tea, red wine, blueberries, tomatoes). Brushing your teeth immediately after eating or drinking can help alleviate some of the effects, but pigmentation can still build up over time.
- Some medications: Some chemicals used in medicine (eg: tetracycline) can also affect the coloring of teeth.
- Tobacco use: Most people know that smokers tend to have yellow or even brown teeth.
- Silver fillings: An amalgam or silver filling, for example, can cause grayish-silver tinges to linger in the area after the procedure.
- Genetics: Unfortunately, some people have teeth that are just more prone to changing color. There’s not much anyone can do to fight the power of genetics, which is why teeth whitening exists as an option for everyone.
- Aging: Last but not least, tooth discoloration sometimes just comes from aging, which we can’t avoid, either.
Because no one is free from the effects of tooth discoloration, teeth whitening products have developed a market of their own. Chances are, you can find some safe, do-it-yourself whitening products at your local pharmacy, but visit us first and we’ll help you decide which product would be ideal in your case. To ensure the best and fastest results, though, get your teeth whitening done by a professional.
How does professional teeth whitening work?
At-home whitening is convenient and often results in slightly whiter teeth, but commercially sold whitening products can only go so far. If you have severe discoloration in your teeth, your only option might be to visit a dental office. Dentists’ whitening products tend to be much more potent than typical pharmacy ones because they can take advantage of a dentist’s skill and expertise to make the product stronger.
At Mint Dental Alaska, for example, you can get a laser teeth whitening done in just under an hour. Laser teeth whitening amplifies the effects of bleaching solutions with a laser, accelerating and increasing the amount of whitening that can occur. Because the process can be dangerous if handled incorrectly, only dentists are able to perform these laser whitening services.
You can visit our practice at any time to get recommendations for at home whitening or to get a professional treatment done, revamping your teeth until you’re ready to face the world with a smile yet again.
Mint Dental Alaska in Anchorage is dedicated to helping you preserve your smile, and visiting our office is the first step to jump-starting that process. Call our office today at (907) 646-8670 to set up an appointment with one of our cosmetic dentists!